Marinated Zucchini & Yellow Squash Salad
Are you looking for a way to use your abundance of zucchini and yellow squash this summer? Look no further than this simple Marinated Salad. Both zucchini and yellow squash offer versatile food prep options: They can be enjoyed raw in salads, grilled, roasted, sautéed, spiralized into noodles, or extra thin and flat using a mandoline slicer. This versatility makes it easy to incorporate zucchini and yellow squash into your way of eating while maximizing their nutritional (and hydrating!) benefits during the summer months.
- mandoline slicer or vegetable peeler.
- 1 Ib zucchini (medium or small) preferably a mix of green and yellow
- 3 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeesed
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs chives, parsley, mint, basil or a combination
- Slice the squash as thinly as possible. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 10-20 minutes. Rinse and drain on a clean dish cloth.
- Mix together the lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Toss with zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for four to six hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator, and remove the garlic clove. Add the fresh herbs and toss together. Add salt to tastes and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve and enjoy!
Toss with fresh herbs and your favorite feta (optional), mix in some fresh tomatoes, and you've got a refreshing summer salad! Or use as a base for your favorite source of protein! *This recipe was inspired by The New York Times.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!